NEXO Powers Rabbits Eat Lettuce
136,000 watts to keep the rabbits Underground
An example of NEXO in action at an outdoor music festival
Over the Easter long weekend, Twisted Pair Productions supplied the Rabbits Eat Lettuce music festival with their sound system needs. This included audio engineering services and supplying a range of audio and DJ equipment for the Main Stage of the festival.
For the fourth consecutive year, Twisted Pair Productions has been key in designing the festival’s main stage sound system, collaborating with the festival promoters and production team to put together a system ideal for the unique outdoor festival site on the mid-north-coast of NSW. 2017 has been the largest yet.
Happy with what Twisted had provided in the past, the REL promoters approached Twisted wanting 2017 to go even bigger. They wanted more bass and an even high end coverage. In response, Twisted specced one of their largest outdoor sound systems to date. As Twisted’s head audio engineer Alex Leahy explains,
“We hung enough line array boxes to keep the mid high volume at a constant anywhere on the dancefloor and created a sub array that you could not hide from. We used Nexo’s own NS1 software to calculate the perfect height and angles of the array, and the distance and delays between the subs to create an evenly distributed sound system. The amount of sound equipment we brought in was unprecedented, needing double the trucks to distribute the weight of the PA speakers and DJ equipment safely and evenly”
The sound system was based around:
- A flown top end of 14 NEXO GEO-S12 line array elements, with angles pre-calculated for ideal wavefront dispersion across the dancefloor using NEXO’s proprietary prediction software (NS1).
- The sub was pumped out by 14 NEXO RS18 subwoofers, fully powered at 8000 Watts a piece (that’s 112k of pure sub)
- 4 NEXO PS-15 R2’s secured on the wall of subs assisted the top end for the inner front rows of the dancefloor.
All of this made for a staggering 136,000 Watt (that’s RMS, not peak) of pure NEXO powered by NEXO NX4x4 DSP amplifiers.
The NEXO Dancefloor
Over four huge days the Nexo dancefloor was a magical site, with costume adorned festival goers showing their style true to Rabbits Eat Lettuce festival form and expressing how blown away they were by the power and clarity of the sound.
Check out some of the great photos captured from previous years over at the official rabbits eat lettuce image gallery
On stage production
The front of house NEXO system was supported by Twisted Pair supplying on stage production:
- 4000 Watts RMS of Powered RCF 7 and 8 series side fill for the DJ’s
- 5000 Watts RMS of Quest Fold back for the Bands with Crown amplification
- Pioneer DJM 900 nexus mixers and CDJ 2000 nexus players
- Rane 62 Serato integrated scratch mixers
- Technics SL1200 series vinyl turntables
- A full compliment of pro series microphones (Sennheiser E904, E906,Shure Beta 58a, Beta 91, Beta 52, SM81SM57, SM58) and DI’s (Radial J48, Duplex, BSS AR-133)
- Shure UR-4D+ Handheld Radio transmitters with Shure Beta 58a capsules
As well as this diverse array of audio and DJ equipment provided to the festival, Twisted’s own skilled and experienced personnel ran the system over the four days. This included stage technicians and front of house sound engineers, with all reports from festival organisers, artists, and festival goers indicating they did an outstanding job!
Rabbits is just one example of an event Twisted Pair Productions has provided a full suite of audio services for. Twisted as always continues to provide premium audio services for such outdoor music festivals as well as an array of events large and small, including gigs, parties, weddings, corporate events, product launches, and so much more! Check out our production services for more details or get in touch to talk about your next event!